Finance support

Business meals

  1. There will be no food purchased for faculty and staff meetings, whether on or off-campus.*
  2. Food will only be provided for approved college-sponsored events and meetings (e.g. lecture series, town halls, college assemblies, etc.) and will be noted in the invitation.
  3. For instances where you believe food is needed and you are requesting college funds, you must request written approval via the Business Meal pre-approval form. Please submit at least one week prior to the date needed.
  4. Whether you use a University Purchasing Card or pay out of pocket, you will not be reimbursed if you do not have prior approval.  
  5. If you are paying from a RID, IIA or a startup account, you do not need pre-approval.
  6. For food requests related to events, please refer to the Guidelines for In-Person Events and Meetings page. If you would still like to proceed with requesting food for an event, please email

* Faculty may elect to pay for a Business Meal from their own discretionary account (i.e., RID, IIA, start-up or other discretionary accounts). In this instance, pre-approval is not required but Business Meals best practice should still be adhered to.

  • In general, a business meal should reflect the per diem rate for the time of day:
    • Breakfast - $10
    • Lunch - $12
    • Dinner - $24

      *Not to exceed $40/per person
  • ASU policy states a standard tip is 15%, but may never exceed 20%. Tips over 20% results in personal reimbursement to ASU.
  • Alcohol purchases, with University funds, are prohibited and will result in personal reimbursement to ASU.
  • An itemized receipt, business purpose and list of attendees required.

Business justification

  • A business justification, also called a business purpose, is an expenditure that is reasonable, ordinary and necessary to conduct ASU business.
  • When writing a business purpose, ask yourself: If an auditor were to read this, would he and/or she be able to identify what was purchased, what it was for, and why?
  • Additional supporting documentation is often needed to support a purchase, and without it, the purchase may be considered personal or unallowable.
  1. Poor: All Staff Services invoice for temporary employees.
    Acceptable: Temp agency used to fill vacant Admin position at (location, building) while recruitment occurred for backfill. [Include name of temp and dates worked.]

  2. Poor: All-access parking pass.
    Acceptable: All-access parking pass for Business Solutions required to conduct business on multiple campuses.

Certifications and professional licenses

For both new requests and renewals, submit an electronic DocuSign request through the Certification and License PowerForm.

Please visit the Certifications and Professional Licenses page for more information.

Discretionary accounts

Discretionary accounts can be funded from various sources such as course overload payments, EdPlus online course development, EdPlus online course flips, faculty awards, etc. These funds can be used at your discretion, as long as it is not in violation of any ASU policy and supports the public mission of the university. Typical expenses include travel, professional dues, and memberships, educational resources, etc. Unused funds from one year roll to the next fiscal year, allowing you to save up for a larger purchase, if necessary. Any durable goods purchased such as computers, monitors, and equipment remain university property.

All discretionary account expenses are subject to an 8.5% Administrative Service Charge (ASC). For more information regarding ASC, review the ASU FIN 206 Policy.

Unused discretionary funds from one year roll to the next fiscal year, allowing you to save up for a larger purchase, if necessary. If you separate from CHS, unused discretionary funds revert to the College.

It is prohibited to pay personal salaries from this account, however, you may use the funds to pay student wages or provide student support (travel, scholarship, etc.). Parking permits and/or fines of any sort are also prohibited on any university account. See the restricted and prohibited purchases section for more information.

Honorariums, speakers, artists, and performers

An honorarium payment is a nominal payment ASU is paying as a token of appreciation, not required by the individual.

Please email to determine if funds are available. Pre-approval is required before engaging with an honorarium.

Engaging Speakers, Artists, and Performers Guide

For information about Independent Contractors, please review the Independent Contractor information below.

Independent contractors

An independent contractor is a person or entity contracted to perform work or provide services to ASU.

Behavioral Control: The extent to which ASU has the right to direct, or control, how an individual performs his or her duties. The less control ASU has, the more likely it is that the individual is an independent contractor.

Financial Control: The extent to which ASU has the right to control the economic aspects of an individual’s work. The less that ASU depends on an individual’s work for financial solvency or decisions, the more indicative this is of an independent contractor relationship.

For more information, review the Independent Contractor information page.

Gather all of the necessary information on the ICC and email the completed form to and we will send the form to the ASU Tax Department for approval. Upon approval, you may begin using the independent contractor for services. If services will be provided over a period of time, you will also need to secure a purchase order.

No. You can fill out an ICC form for approval of up to 12 months. Include the estimated total fee that will cover the work performed. Clearly describe how frequently this person will be used, the type of projects this person will work on and include an assurance that the contractor can choose each project independent of the others. Always attach a copy of the approved checklist (ICC) to each requisition.

Interviewee expenses

Complete the interviewee expense form

Send the completed form, interview itinerary, and itemized receipts with proof of payment to


A Purchasing Card, or PCard for short, is a credit card linked to an ASU account that allows the cardholder to make small, incidental purchases. PCards have almost completely replaced petty cash, as it is a more secure payment method and reduces the University’s liability.

Requesting a PCard entails filling out an application, which requires approval by the business unit’s PCard manager. Also, you must complete the PCard 101 training, required by the University. Please contact to inquire about the process and determine if you qualify.
PCard 101 online training

PCard holders are responsible for maintaining their own records, reviewing transactions in PaymentNet, and verifying transactions in Workday.  PCard transactions must be fully verified by the PCard holder and approved by CHS Compliance 30 days following the transaction date.


Process and Initiator

PCard Holder Deadline

System and Instructions

Transaction Review
Initiated by PCard Holder

Weekly. Every Friday at 3 p.m.


Transaction Verification
Initiated by PCard Holder

Within 30 days of the transaction date.


Account Reconciliation
Initiated by CHS Business Solutions

Monthly. Within 10 business days from the DocuSign initiation date.

DocuSignPCard holder will receive an email notification.

Petty cash

Petty cash (or cash funds) are small amounts of cash held by a department to pay for low dollar, incidental expenses when another form of payment (procurement card, purchase order, check) is not appropriate or expedient. Petty cash funds are typically used at CHS for subject pay.

Petty cash funds are established by submitting a spend authorization request through Workday. For assistance with this request, contact

Procurement / purchasing

For purchasing support (non-sponsored OR grant related), please complete the Purchase Requisition/Reimbursement Form via DocuSign.

Workday accounts begin with one of the following:

GF – Gift
PG – Program
GR – Grant (Sponsored)

Non-Sponsored accounts: Workday accounts starting with PG for general operating, local, IIA, RID, Translational Teams (TT)/Affinity Network (AN).

Sponsored accounts: Workday accounts starting with GR or PG accounts related to Jumpstart or SEED grants.

A PO is required for most purchases. Please reference this list of exceptions.

The Procurement chat bot has answers to common questions related to Procurement policies and processes. The responses often point to existing resources such as the Procurement website, FMS work instructions, etc.

Ask the ProcureBot


For non-sponsored purchasing support, please complete the Purchase Requisition/Reimbursement Form and send it to

Proof of payment is required for all reimbursement requests. Please turn in the original itemized receipts along with the completed Purchase Requisition/Reimbursement Form to

Purchase Requisition Reimbursement Form

A detailed business justification is required to be included on the form. See the business justification section for additional details.

If you meet the criteria to receive mileage reimbursement, please complete the ASU Mileage Reimbursement Form and send it to Maps are required for each trip, except those between campuses. Please use this link to complete the mileage form:          

ASU Mileage, Parking, Taxi and Other Transportation Reimbursement Form 

Restricted and prohibited purchases

See list below for restricted purchases that require pre-approval:

  • Software and hardware: Requires pre-approval from CHS IT. Please submit a ticket through Service Now to start your request. Software purchases may also require a security review. Inquire with CHS IT, as part of the approval process, to determine if this is required. Please visit the Purchasing Standards page for information about technology-related items that do not require pre-approval.
  • Furniture: Requires approval from CHS Facilities. Please submit a ticket through Service Now to start your request.
  • Gift cards: Requires pre-approval from the Finance team. Please email to start your request.

A list of ASU prohibited purchases can be found in FIN 401-03.

Subject pay

Payments to individuals participating as human subjects in authorized ASU research or to individuals as research incentives.

The principal investigator (PI), or fund custodian, conducting the research is responsible for documenting the required information for proper tax reporting of human subject payments. CHS has created the CHS Incentive Tracking Form, as an easy and concise way to keep track of your human subject payments.

Temp agency hires

The hiring manager will need to have a detailed scope of work, time period, and range of pay. Please contact for assistance.

Textbook requests

First, you will need to request a free desk copy from the publisher. If this option is not available, please email with the following information regarding your request: Requestor, Course, Purpose, Amount and Proposed Funding Source.


Workday is the new financial management and purchasing system for the University. This online system replaced the legacy system, Advantage.

Anyone with an ASURite ID and password can access Workday.

Access Workday

Yes, if you would like to receive individual training for yourself or your team, please email

CHS Finance can help determine the appropriate roles for you in Workday. All Workday roles require additional approvals. Email for assistance.

An expense report is used to reimburse yourself for expenses incurred while doing business on behalf of ASU.

When in Workday, an orange notification bubble will appear over your Inbox on the top right corner of the screen. After you approve, several more layers of approval are required. Once all approvals are applied, you will receive your reimbursement via direct deposit.

A supplier is an external vendor providing goods or services to the University. Prior to conducting business with a supplier, a PO should be issued [link to PO section]. Contact to initiate a PO and inquire about any other forms required by the University (ICC form, etc.).

Suppliers must be set up in the Financial Management System to receive purchase orders and payments. If a supplier needs to be set up, the department may initiate the supplier registration process:

For an individual
For companies

Contact Information

Shannon Corcoran
Assoc Dir, Financial Mgmt + Business Ops

Page updated on Aug 31, 2021 11:44 am MST